Sunday, April 26, 2009

Minority

I realize that I am a member of many majorities in Southeast Idaho--I am LDS, and I am Caucasian. Because of this, I can't always relate, understand, or empathize with some other groups. I have friends from all backgrounds and am incredibly grateful for them. We have so much in common and have a great time together. However, we all know that some of our friends face more barriers--negative stereotypes, lack of support from others, and even just being misunderstood by others. I really don't think I will ever understand some of the struggles and barriers they face. I appreciate and recognize how easy my life is. I also appreciate how beautiful the lives of my friends really are! They are my heroes!

In December my co-worker Guillermo told me about the Hispanic Youth Symposium. I fell in love and wanted to participate from the moment I heard about the program. Well, months flew by, and I actually just arrived home from the conference a few hours ago. (I am exhausted after about 3.5 hours of sleep and refuse to do anything that requires lots of energy tonight, so I chose to blog!)

I will post pictures later this week, but I have to say that I had a life-changing experience. I fell in love with the culture, the music, the language, and the people! I plan to attend next year's symposium and WILL speak some decent Spanish by then. Just wait and see!

I was, for one of the very first times, a minority. I felt at times like a bit of an outsider--I didn't understand some jokes, couldn't master some of those dance moves, and couldn't truly relate to experiences people shared. I felt a bit left out--however, I was surrounded by about 400 extremely loving people. I was accepted and included every step of the way. I may not completely fit in--but I felt like I really did. I was part of their familia!

Why don't we all include others a bit more, share a bit more, forget differences a bit more, teach others a bit more? I hope to remember those who may feel out of place, who may not feel included. We really are all one big familia!

Si, se puede!

4 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

What a great and wonderful post Kasi. You are awesome. It sounds like a neat experience. I think we do get caught up in our "norm" and fail to recognize all that is around us. Thanks for the post!

Jessica said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for the comment!

Jessica said...

Me again!
I am having a giveaway on my blog {hillamcasa.blogspot.com}. please come enter!!

Logan and Lisa said...

Hey Kasi!
I was going to see if you could e-mail me your address. My e-mail is lisaannk@gmail.com