Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Holy Intimidation, Batman

Last week I played in my first ever golf tournament. Now, please don't go thinking that I am a great golfer by any means. I actually was signed up to play by my coworker without being asked first. Oh, that Josh fellow! I think I would have passed on this altogether if I didn't already feel obligated. (Now, that's the truth!)Let me preface this: this golf tournament was just an opportunity to mingle with other professionals. Really--some golfers had never even played. We just like hanging out together and calling it a "networking" opportunity. I entered the tourney with the mentality that "everyone is here to have fun" and "no one is really taking this seriously." Of course, that was my mindset.
Introducing my group--a few intimidating but fabulous and fun golfers:

Jen: Really fun--worked at a golf course last year and played some major golf; really a natural at the sport and had some killer drives.

Brian: Very frequent golfer; playing in a golf tournament at Pumpkin Ridge with the other boys next month.

Rodd: Amazing golfer; the soon-to-be men's basketball coach at College of Idaho; coached for Boise State and several other programs.

John: My partner; played golf in college on the team who won the national tournament--aka, the best team in the country; past Admissions Dean at College of Idaho; could have played professionally but chose family instead.

Needless to say, the group played to have fun, but I was a "man among giants" in this case. On the bright side: I got a ton of free golf tips, often solicited. We had a great time, and I just love John--what an amazing man! I definitely survived my first 18 in a tourney and hope that this will spark a desire to spend more time on the links and maybe in play in a few more tournament rounds. Whew!

0 comments: