Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Need for Discussion

I was one of about 10 people in Pocatello who waited in line to get my very own copy of "Mockingjay" on Monday at midnight. Boy, did I feel like a nerd that night, and boy did I feel tired the next day. I am proud of my love of reading though--and I know that a few of you out there must have done the exact same thing!


Well, I finished the book on Wednesday night, and I was pretty happy with the book--I love how Collins writes and thinks she is just as masterful in this book. I won't lie though (and I won't give any spoilers), but I felt like the last few pages were written in about a half hour's time. That book left me feeling like I had to fill in a ton of gaps. Very little is explained, and I was not too happy that my imagination had to work so hard to fill everything in. A great book, a great read, a great message, but a lackluster ending. I will still continue to love the series--and might read the books again--can't quite get enough of Peeta.

If anyone out there feels my pain, feel free to email, reply, or call. I know that this is just fiction (and good fiction at that), but isn't it surprising to see just how involved in a book you can get! Why do I care so much about such a silly thing?

Well, best of luck to you "Hunger Games" fans out there! Keep me posted!


4 comments:

mykel said...

just picked up my copy tonight! i'm finishing it this weekend so be ready for virtual book club!

sam and kyrsten said...

oh my heck i am such a fan. like an overly obsessed fan. but im waiting to read the last book... ah makes me sad that the ending isnt as good as it could have been. i love peeta too..

Demo Kitchen said...

OK Kasi- I totally ditto your comments.
**Small spoiler for anyone reading comments**
I just felt like there was enough for a longer book, but it was forced into fewer pages for some reason. They just kept sedating her and then she would wake up and be told in a few sentences what happened, instead of experiencing anything in this book herself. I feel like things weren't really resolved with a few characters, and then her relationship with Peeta was just treated like no big deal. AAHH! I'm like you, I love the series, but just feeling a bit deflated after the "readers highs" I get from the other books.
Let me know if you find any more great books worth reading :)

morgan and tina said...

Kasi! It's Tina Jorgensen, now Gubler, and I'm totally blog stalking you and I totally agree with you about that book! I was a little frustrated with the ending but overall I still enjoy the series! I'm glad to see you're doing well!