Thursday, March 11, 2010

Food Tribute to Great-Grandpa Sucher

So, my great-grandpa was an excellent cook! Oh, and he made a mean sugar cookie. Now--the recipe has been passed down through the Sucher family and made it my way this week. I called my mom for the recipe, and I think my dad was more excited to pass it on. "Oh, we are going to have to have your mother get out Great-Grandpa Sucher's recipe," he said. "He was a great cook." We Sucher's are proud of our fine German heritage and family members.

Last night I went to work on the recipe, after being warned by Mom that it was a little time consuming. Boy, the non-baker in me really felt overwhelmed at first, but I was very happy when I tasted the final result. (Just like when Mom and Grandma made them!) Needless to say, my kitchen looked like it was hit by a tornado--and I looked like I barely walked away from a duel with a bag of flour. (Note to all: I am a baking novice, but I have dreams of someday being a cupcake/baked goods queen. Watch out, world!)

One last note: I have to admit that I felt like I was paying a culinary tribute to my great-grandfather last night. I am sure Dane thought I was being ridiculous, but I really thought a lot about my family while I slaved away on the treats. It was a moving experience. (Is it weird to have a bit of a spiritual experience in the kitchen?)



I am feeling bold and gracious--so here is the recipe for some perfect sugar cookies--really fluffy ones!

Great Grandpa Sucher's Sugar Cookies

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Mix the following ingredients well:
2 cups sugar (if you like them really sweet, add a bit more sugar)
1 cup butter
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
enough flour to make the mixture a soft, rollable dough (this was the hardest for me to determine personally)

Roll out the dough and cut out cookies. (I recommend keeping the dough fairly thick because I love thick, fluffy cookies.) I baked the cookies in the oven for ten minutes, and each batch came out perfectly. Top the cookies with your favorite cream cheese frosting.

(If anyone decides to try this out, I hope you love them as much as I do!)

2 comments:

sam and kyrsten said...

yum! they look great. i am NOT a good cookie maker. they always turn out burt, crisp and tasting like flour! :) thanks for your comment by the way! you really are the sweetest! i hope life is going well! its been a LONG time since ive seen you! thanks for the recipe too! maybe this will be the luck ive been looking for!

Jeremy and Ruth said...

Thanks for feeling so generous and sharing the recipe with us! My husband is always looking for fluffy sugar cookies! I will definitely try them and report back!