Monday, June 6, 2011

My Secret Friend

The title of this post is especially cheesy. I don't know what else to call this little pen pal/gift giver. The only thing I know is that her kindness has been a true blessing in my life. I have no way to thank the person because, of course, they choose to send packages anonymously and without any type of return address. Super sweet and fun for her, but a tad bit intriguing and at times flustering for me.

One day, about three months ago I got home from a crazy day at work and was a little overwhelmed with everything. I went out to my mailbox for the daily mail check and saw a manila envelope with my name on it. I had walked out in a hurry and came back feeling a little puzzled and confused. It is not everyday that I just get little packages. I sat on my couch and opened everything up, finding some baby items. A huge gush of gratitude whooshed in, and I felt so blessed and just dropped to the floor, sobbing. I immediately offered a prayer for the person's thoughtfulness. It was such a kind thing, and I was thankful to know that someone out there truly cared.

Each week I have continued receiving packages, some with maternity outfits (like my very first pair of the dreaded and then decidedly comfortable maternity pants), baby clothes, baby items, gift cards for dinners out, and little pampering items. Checking the mail has become one of my favorite hobbies, with these gifts and new wedding announcement and graduation announcements and Ensign and Good Housekeeping magazines. (Especially since we usually receive our bills via email). Almost each and every day turns into a great day as I arrive home and check our little box.

Throughout all of this, I have wished so much that I could know who this person is, and to be honest, I have no idea how to truly thank her. I have spent many nights and conversations with friends and sisters trying to guess who this person might be. I think that part alone is the most frustrating part. I want so much for her to know how thankful I am for the sacrifices and attention from the gifts. My husband and I cannot believe the generosity.

So, in an effort to convey at least a little bit of the gratitude, I decided this might be my very best shot. So, to my secret friend out there, thank you--time and time again--I wish I could say it in person, but this will just have to do for now. I would never truly be upset if you did in fact choose to reveal your identity, just a thought. Thank you!

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Hey Kasi! I love this - thanks for sharing with us. It is like we are getting to experience it with you.

sam and kyrsten said...

people are so good. what a wonderful thing!