Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cupcake Fiasco

Tonight I was on top of the world--work and class finished--just me and the kitchen for a couple of hours. It was pure bliss at first.


My inner domestic goddess was firing on all cylinders. I threw a couple of pots of water on to boil, and tumbled the laundry on my way out to grab the mail. Seriously, I was loving this productivity.

I secretly wished Dane could see me managing dinner (lemon pepper chicken, smashed garlic red potatoes, and steamed broccoli) and baking some killer cupcakes at the same time (melting stuff for the frosting and taking perfectly-cooked cupcakes from the oven).

And then it happened! Of course that evil thing hubris was present--and I really believe that it ruined everything. Seriously, people--don't you get cocky!

I decided it was time to let the frosting cool on the burner, so I proceed to turn it down to just a warming temperature. It was the logical thing to do--well, I turned down the burner for the boiling pot of potatoes instead. Oh, dear--did that frosting burn up. After wondering why it started to boil and wouldn't stop, I finally noticed that ill-fated mistake earlier.

With very little time to correct before mutual, I salvaged what was left and topped the perfect little cupcakes--tainting those little things. I was sure that the girls wouldn't notice--they still tasted okay. And Dane did some cute little piping to make them look like Hostess cupcakes too. That would certainly cover up any flaws.

On my way out of the car, ready and pounce and set that room up at the church, I nearly lose the cupcakes to the cold asphalt below. My cat-like reflexes came to the rescue, only to smash those cupcakes to pieces.

Only one person was willing to eat my cupcakes. Another leader Lindsey, bless her heart, ate two. I called her after mutual to thank her for eating. She noted that she thought they were great, and then she followed by saying that she will eat anything chocolate that I placed before her. Seriously, I rose and was dropped again!

Needless to say, my fear of sharing baked goods was reaffirmed. On a positive note, I was reminded that this little cupcake fiasco will not end my little world. I am at home now, ready to do some much-needed exercising, Glee watching, laundry folding, and studying.

Whew! Happy Tuesday to you all!

2 comments:

Josh and Kelli said...

Now I really want some cupcakes!!!

Shanna and Brad said...

Hey if it makes you feel better, I was doing something similar just the other day, and I completely overcooked the lemon pepper chicken. It was so tough! It was bad enough that my husband resorted to left overs. I'm sure your cupcakes were still tasty!