Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Extreme" Excitement

As I think most everyone around here knows, "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" paid a visit to Pocatello in August. I was incredibly disappointed to discover that I wouldn't be able to volunteer. (Seriously, getting involved is the best!) When the big reveal came, I decided that I still wanted to have a little piece in this great occasion. So--a few coworkers and I braved the massive crowds for the opportunity to say, "Move that bus!"

I think that Guillermo and I were the most excited for the event. Someone down there is a picture of Ty, who slapped my hand as he ran by. Though I usually hate gestures like this (because I am afraid of germs), I was in heaven. Starstruck!

Poor Guillermo waited for about two hours then had to leave for a dentist appointment, missing the actual reveal. Guillermo and Craig stood directly in the sun with the huge masses of people, while Josh and I just headed for shade. My friend Mickenzie arrived when I was there and had an extra pass, so the two of us moved closer to the bus. When we were waiting, someone came over and moved our group to the very front of the crowd. Seriously, some people had been standing there all day, and Mickenzie and I were able to move like it was nobody's business. So fast!

Mickenzie and I could hardly believe our luck and felt so blessed. I couldn't help but start crying as we were close for all of the action. My very favorite part was seeing ISU's President Vailas award full-tuition scholarships for all of the children. I beamed with pride for my alma mater. (Insert fight song here!) The two of us girls were so touched by the family and so happy to see something great like this happen in Pocatello. What a blessing! The family is just beautiful and seemed so genuinely grateful.

Well, tonight I will be with my family in Idaho Falls, but I hope to catch at least a few moments of the show with them or via dvr. If you get a chance, tune in and support the family. (And you might even see me cheering (and in reality, bawling my eyes out) in the crowd!





1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am an avid fan of this show. Watching the episodes really make my tears fall especially when I see the family being helped cry because of extreme happiness.
The sad thing about all this is, I have long, long wished this show to come to the Philippines and infact, I really wanted them to help my parents build their house but its just sad they don't reach the Philippines. I know its also too far for them to help out. :(
You are very lucky to have seen this group for real. I wish I had the same experience. - Imma (tinkerbell.14dove@gmail.com)