Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Some Random Thoughts

Right now I am sitting in my office answering nonexistent instant message for an online college fair--I think I am the only one around here, and it is quite peaceful--so what better time to jump back into blogging? Here are a few of those random musings just swishing around this head of mine.

Let's be honest, I really blog for me. Blogging and journaling are two of my favorite hobbies, though I wish I would put a little bit more thoughtfulness into each. I feel like everything just gets so scrambled on its way out. It really is so therapeutic to scribble a few thoughts down though. Tonight I think I will have an extended journaling experience--nice and long and relaxing.

In theories, we are discussing existentialism. I felt so silly when the girl next to me remarked that she has been an existentialist since high school. She had read Frankyl and Kirkegaard back then. I had never even heard of Kirkegaard until today and anxiously giggled when I mentioned that I loved "Man's Search for Meaning." Seriously, I feel a major lack of self-awareness in a program centered around personal meaning.

In my trek to really absorb this program I asked a professor for some extra reading materials to really enhance my experience with the theories and constructs. And, as silly as this sounds, I can't wait to crack open those books tonight. I am working to become a more fully engaged student. (Let's see how long this lasts.)

Today I discovered that Temple Grandin is indeed speaking at ISU in the spring. Shut up! I can hardly wait. I recently learned about her during an episode of Oprah (one of my primary educators and socialization agents) and can't wait to see her in person. She is an inspiring person, so I need to read up and prep for her appearance.

I am going to buy Dane and myself matching harmonicas in preparation for our self-paced, self-given harmonica lessons. Someday we will be able to play the solo in "Heart of Gold" together. Lessons might be postponed until Christmas Break, but the idea is still headed straight for my vision board.

ISU is receiving submissions for their "Black Rock and Sage" compilation of poetry, music, and artwork. This year I am finally going to submit some poetry (that has to first be written), thus working past my fear of sharing any poetry. Public mockery may ensue, but I am still going to try.

I have spent some great time with children lately and can hardly wait to have my own! I will cherish each moment (well, I say that now) and can't wait to soak up motherhood in all of its goodness.

Well, there are my current ramblings. And just in time, as my shift for the college fair is over. Now to the house for deep cleaning the kitchen, some scholarly reading, and the newest "Modern Family" episode. Happy Wednesday night!

2 comments:

Emily and Alan said...

Temple Grandin is coming! I am so excited! You have to get me the details on this!

Jessica said...

Good luck with your poetry! Let us know if you get published. I am always proud when people submit their work. It's so brave.