Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My First Spiritual Analogy


My old roommate Linzy is the queen of spiritual analogies! Seriouly! This woman can find inspiration in almost any daily task. I appreciate and admire her ability to recognize important lessons in even the most simple things. Now that she has two adorable little boys, she has even more material for growth and learning. What a beautiful mother she is too! I have been trying to acquire some of her skills and talent in paying more attention to life. So, here is my very first attempt at an analogy, taken from my own daily experience. (This is a big moment for me!)


On Saturday, which was quite snowy and rainy, I made the short trek to Idaho Falls to be with my family to help with some wedding planning. I remembered before I left that a windshield wiper blade was in seriously need of repair (ahh, replacement--I am not as cheap as I used to be). Visibility was pretty low with the bad wipers that morning as I did my weekly Bountiful Basket pickup. There was a patch of wet snow/slush that just would not be removed by the wipers. Dane made a quick stop with me to help replace them. Bless his heart! The quick moments for the replacement made the visibility increase so much, making the car ride much better.

As I was driving along, I realized a teaching moment. Sometimes I get so distracted by things going on all around me. These things can be good, but sometimes they mask the clarity that the Gospel provides. As I live life with the Holy Ghost as a constant companion, filled with scripture student and prayer, my view becomes more and more clear. I can see my destination, and the path ahead of me. When I allow myself to replace the most important things with business, I can lose sight of all the reality of a loving Father in Heaven all around me. In a way, I can forget to change the windshield wipers, leaving a fuzzy view of everything around me. Plus, it's not a safe way to live. Everything becomes more sharp and crisp as I see through spiritual eyes everything around me.

(image found here)


1 comments:

linzy said...

oh kasi!!! you inspire me!!!!! remember that little book you gave me for christmas with all the quotes and scriptures?! we try to read out of it every morning!!! thanks again!!!! you are a great example to me!